Wednesday, November 2, 2011

BOOKasahi: Kamiki Ryunosuke (神木隆之介) Interview

First part of Otaku week.

Interview taken from BOOKasahi.com.

 

"My Personal Comic History" Actor Kamiki Ryunosuke-san

Charles is a man among men

 

- What's the first manga that you like?

Kamiki: Ever since reading "The World Only God Knows", I became a full blown manga and light novel reader.

 

- What about it is interesting?

Kamiki: It's a story about a protagonist who's good at love simulation games and he has to try conquering the girls in real life. But he doesn't confess his feelings using cellphone or email but directly to the girl. I think that is really great. Even though the protagonist is originally a gamer, at first glance he has a digital image, but he's actually prefers analog. It's a work that put human feelings in high regard.

 

- I see.

Kamiki: Other works that I like are "Baka and Test" and "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya". As for shoujo manga, I think "Nosatsu Junkie" is interesting. Even though I like romance comedy and science fiction, seeing as I am a high school student, the basic genre that appeal to my feelings and I read a lot of are "school story".

 

- You also appeared in the movie "20th Century Boys" right?

Kamiki: Yes. Because I'm originally a fan of the work, when asked to participate on the project, I was really happy. On the day it was screen, I lined up to see the movie (laughs). My very first Urasawa Naoki-san's work is "PLUTO". The first time I read it, there are a lot of deep and hidden meanings, you only learn more as you continues to read... Like there are a lot of foreshadows. Especially with "20th Century Boys" where the volumes have many long parts, and of course there are many foreshadowing, and so many unexpected developments that I read them all in one go.

 

- Recently, is there a manga that you take notice of?

Kamiki: "Kamisama no Memocho", the story of Alice, the NEET detective. It's originally a light novel, and there's only one volume of the manga version. Most of the characters are NEET, and so they solve all the crimes indoor using the internet.

 

- This October, the anime movie "To Aru Hikushi e no Tsuioku" will begin to screen across the country. What's your feeling when you first read it?

Kamiki: I have a lot of 'How beautiful' when I read it. The relationship between Charles and Fana is like that, and the battle scene feel really speedy. Because I also love the sky, the various expressions of the sky is really this movie's charm.

 

- What's the scene that left a big impression?

Kamiki: The first air battle scene where the enemies are shooting and Charles evade and send the missile back to the enemy. At this moment, Charles murmurs these extremely heavy words "I'm sorry". Charles, who really hate fighting, truly want to freely fly across the sky. He lost his parents when he was young, and his social status is low, so there are many unhappy moment in his life. He's a person who feel others' pains, so for me, that "I'm sorry" has many different and deep meanings...

 

- Since you're playing Charles for the movie, what kind of person do you think he is?

Kamiki: He's a very straightforward person, with a strangely strong heart. I think he's a "man among men". One thing I really respect of him is his sense of responsibility. Accepting the superior officer's order while risking his life protecting Fana, that sense of responsibility is amazing.

 

- While playing Charles, what do you have to keep in mind?

Kamiki: Charles is 21 years old, someone older than me. Since my voice is normally high, I have to keep in mind to make it lower.

 

- Then lastly, please give the fans, who look forward to watching the movie, a message.

Kamiki: Though there are charms in the intense air battle and beautiful scenery, the number one thing to look forward to is Charles and Fana's love story. Charles is just an aerial pilot, and Fana is the next empress. Though they match each others, they were unable to cross the wall of their "differences"... Even though the ending is painful, but I think the ending is very beautiful. It’s packed with so many thoughts and feelings, it's a movie that make you think about a lot of things, so I hope many people will be able to receive this when watch.

 

-------------

- Of course, it’s not really Otaku week (is there such thing?). Just show casing certain people being otaku.

- (○´艸`) Kamiki named so many of my favorite light novels/mangas that I have to translate (though it really took me a long time before I started).

- The description of Keima (protagonist of “The World Only God Knows”) being analog instead of digital made me laughs like crazy. It’s seriously a perfect description. You’ll only get this if you’ve read the manga. Great manga, read it!

- Urasawa Naoki-sensei’s works are great! Though the contents are really heavy packed, he’s definitely one of my favorite manga-ka. His stuffs really make you think and question reality/beliefs. His current work is Billy Bat. I’ve only read “20th Century Boys”, “Billy Bat”, “Happy!” and “Monster” though. I should start reading “PLUTO”.

- “Baka and Test” and “Suzumiya Haruhi” light novels. ♥ Kamiki has good taste!

- Oh, I’m enjoying “11 Nin mo Iru!” so far. Best scenes have to be between Saigo and Megumi (Hirosue Ryoko) though. Only seen the first episode so far, so not much to say yet.

 

2 comments:

  1. Liking 'Baka to Testo Shoukanjyou' and 'Haruhi Suzumiya', I think I now know Kamiki's otaku type. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm? What kind of otaku type is he?

    ReplyDelete