Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fukuda Mayuko (福田麻由子): NHK Human Documentary: Life

Pictures from Fukuda Mayuko Picture BBS. Also from FLaMme’s Gallery.

 

Remember last year where Mayuko helped narrate for a NHK education show? Well, this year, she’s having another collaboration with NHK, and once again, it’s another narration job.

 

This time, Mayuko will be narrating along with Nogiwa Yoko.

NHK Channel: Human Documentary “A Young Girl’s Choice~ 18 Years Old’s Mail About ‘Life’”

Date: Friday, July 22, 2011

Time: 10:00pm – 10:50pm (50 minutes)

Genre: Social Welfare – Documentary/Culture and Education > Universe – Science – Medicine

The show will be broadcast on NHK On Demand.

Contents:

“From now on, I don’t want to be on prolonged life treatment.” 18 years old Tajima Hanako-san passed away last year after deciding this. Although she suffered an incurable disease since she was a child, she was unable to sustain her life despite the leading edge medical treatment. For the “Close Up Modern Time” that was broadcasted earlier, Hanako-san seems to echo the message “My life isn’t going to be long. How can I live it?” This time, we will look at the 500 letters that Hanako-san wrote to the people around her as she discuss about “Life”. We will follow how the footprint of how she face her life.

 

 

If you have NHK channel, please be sure to follow!

 

 

After searching for Tajima Hanako, I found a blog that talked more about her. I’m going to summarize her life story, since I found it to be a bit interesting.

 

 

When Tajima Hanako was a young child, she has an incurable disease in her heart, which need immediate heart transplant. At the time, she was 8 years old, however the Japanese law for heart transplant for children younger than 15 years old was very strict, and the medical staffs are not as experienced. This prompt her parents to bring her to Germany for the heart transplant, where the law is more loose regarding underage children and the doctors have more experiences.

However, the doctor warns that there’s a small chance that the heart transplant will be able to be a success. Even if it’s a success, there may also be other complications post-surgery. Despites all the cons, her parents persisted in getting the heart transplant for her.

The operation was a success and Hanako returns to Japan and continues to go to school like a normal girl.

10 years passed.

Through those 10 years, Hanako and her parents went through a lot of hardships as her condition returned. It worsen to the point that in order to sustain her live, she need to live on a dialysis. She decided against it.

Her parents told her physician, “Whatever you do, please help her keep on living.”

However, her physician replied, “Thinking about your feelings, I really do want to help her continue to fight the battle and not give up. But putting my feelings aside, as your doctor, I must accept what the 3 of you decided.”

With that, her parents decided to persuaded Hanako to reconsider her decision, “Hanako, life is such an important thing! If you get a chance to live, let’s do our best!”

But to her parents, Hanako wrote, “I won’t change my mind about not doing the dialysis. I want to live as myself. I’ve been through all the medical treatments, and I’ve been sufficiently doing my best, so now, I want to leave quietly. I want to choose my own life, so Papa, please don’t put pressure on me.”

With that, Hanako thanks everyone around her for their support in her letter.

On September of 2010, Hanako passed away when she was 18 years old.

 

 

What will the letter be about? I’m curious, but I probably won’t be able to see this documentary.

 

2 comments: