Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pict Up June 2010 : Kamiki Ryunosuke (神木隆之介) & Shida Mirai (志田未来) Interview

This time, scans are taken from Kamiki's Baidu. :) Thank you to Kamiki Chinese fans. XD;;

The Karigurashi no Arrietty interview is on page 59-62 Pict Up magazine, June 2010 issue. The magazine was on sale on June 18, 2010.



"In order to be in the same spirit, I sported the same ponytail as Arrietty when going to do the recording." the person who said this was the lead in the drama "14 Sai no Haha", "Shokojo Seira", and others, with exceptional acting talent that is getting attention, is Shida Mirai. "Karigugashi no Arrietty" is her fist challenge at voice acting. For this prodigy actress how does she tackle this challenge with her frankness?

-- It's your first challenge as a voice actress ne. When you learn about your participation, what did you think?
Shida: Truthfully, at first I didn't really have confident in my voice. That's why, I thought, is it alright for me to do this?

-- You weren't confident with your own voice?

Shida: My voice is not really feminine, and it's not husky or cool. I think it's a half-baked voice (laugh).

-- What's your thought regarding Ghibli's films?
Shida: Even from the time when I was young, it's my dream to become a person like the ones in Ghibli's film. This time, to able to be a part of the film at such close distance, "Is this really okay?" I thought anxiously.

-- When you read the script, what did you think of Arrietty?
Shida: Even though it's my first time reading an anime script, at first there will be parts where I'm unable to imagine. "She's this kind of girl" I would thought, but 3-4 days before the recording, I'm able to watch the solid film. Seeing such an innocent facial expression and simplicity, I think she's a straightforward girl.

-- With that, were Shida-san able to perform easily?
Shida: Even though she's not just a straightforward person, but there are parts where I'm similar, thus there are parts where I could understand her.

-- Which parts are you similar?
Shida: Things like doing what she pleases (laugh). If I want to eat, I'll eat, if I want to go outside, I'll go -- Arrietty is also that kind of girl, similarly, if people say I can't do something, the more I want to do it. I think such parts are similar to me.

It's not just my play, it's also Arrietty's play.

-- Before the recording, were you nervous?
Shida: I was. From the day before, I was already nervous, on the morning of the actual day... I want to hurry up and do it so I can finish it quickly (laugh). No matter where the site of filming are, I'll still be nervous on the first day, but this time, I'm especially nervous. It's a brand new challenge for me. I was in a state of confusion the moment I stepped into the recording site. "Even though there's a mike, but where should I stand?" or "When do I wear the headphone?" for example.

-- After the performance, is there something that's especially difficult?
Shida: It's the timing. With the timing for Arrietty's talk, my voice is unable to match with hers. This was extremely difficult. For example, being angry at the drum and speak the lines in a heated way, instantly, Arrietty suddenly filled with tears, in order to match that part, my voice also need to be unable to come out. It's not just only my play, it's also Arrietty's play, the two of us must become one, I had this feeling... It was absolutely difficult.

-- How was your co-star, Kamiki Ryunosuke-san? You are the same age, and you both also acted together before, it seems like Kamiki-kun views Shida-san like that of the same mind.
Shida: Same mind? (laugh) But we definitely have a feeling of comrade. On the surface of the drama, I also really respected him, when we are working together, I'm really able to become at ease.

-- Kamiki-san had already worked on 3 Ghibli's long film, his experiences in voice acting are also abundance. Being the dai sempai, does he give out advices?
Shida: Sempai, he doesn't seem like that (laugh). A week before the recording, "What should I do, what should I do..." I would anxiously said. "It's alright, it's alright, everyone are not scary", he told me, with that I'm able to be a little bit at ease. Also, I was by myself on the first, and the second day was together with Kamiki-kun, grandly on the second day, I was able to do it the way I wanted.

No matter the drama, no matter the place, I have the talent to [be able to enjoy it].

-- You always has an impression of grandly perform, are you the type of person who's courageous?
Shida: No, I'm not. I'm really a coward, when doing new things, I'm the type that will avoid challenges as much as possible (laugh). That's why, this time I'm extremely worried.

-- From the point of view of the people watching, even though still young, magnificently with a relaxed attitude, your performance is really good. There are thoughts like "Genius". As for yourself, do you have thoughts that you are "genius"?
Shida: Noo, I don't. Even from the time "Shokojo Seira", even though I was playing an ojou-sama role, I completely unable to be like an ojou-sama, even when speaking the lines, I also thought "What should I do....". I don't have any self-confident. "I wonder if this is alright" I would always thought.

-- Producer Suzuki Toshio gave this comment, "Shida-san is always having fun doing drama.", is this true?
Shida: It's fun. My parents told me, "You can retire whenever you want to.", but my intention is to continue on with it. I think it's enjoyable so I'm continuing it.

-- Was it fun when you first start?
Shida: Perhaps it wasn't really fun. From the time I was little, the day before going to the audition, I cried. But when it was the real thing at the audition, it seems I'm able to do it (laugh). I think because it was enjoyable, that's why I'm able to continue with it.

-- When is a time when you're the most happy as an actress?
Shida: When people said "That scene was nicely done" or "Because you're here, that's why that character was able to exist". I would thought, I'm glad I did it.

-- For this time, what sort of things did the director told you?
Shida: At first I was extremely nervous, that I'm unable to sound like Arrietty. But when I finished, he told me "Gradually, you were able to become Arrietty", it made me extremely happy.

-- Do you want to continue being an actress forever?
Shida: I think I want to get married, and create a family (laugh). But if it's possible I want to continue doing drama forever.


From the period of his child role, his activities in drama, movies, etc.. are flourishing. The name of this prodigy is Kamiki Ryunosuke. From, "Spirited Away" to "Howl's Moving Castle", and also for this work, he is a regular in Ghibli's films. He, who's once again known for his profound voice performance, is just turning 17 years old.

-- This will be your 3rd major Ghibli's film ne. When you learned about your participation, what did you think?
Kamiki: Honestly, I was really happy. At the end of last year, I received a New Year card from the people at Ghibli. It said "We'll look forward to the summer movie!". It looks like a normal greeting, but when I know my voice was going to be appointed again, I was happy.

-- When you read the script of "Karigurashi no Arrietty", what did you think?
Kamiki: From the first impression, I thought it's a very beautiful movie. A peaceful and lovely movie. That's how I felt for the first time.

-- How is it, regarding the role of Sho?
Kamiki: His body is weak, and he's a child who doesn't hold the hope to live. Doesn't talk a lot, a quiet boy are my impressions of him. But, when I was able to watch his images at Ghibli, when he see Arrietty, his eyes is straightforward and strong, I thought he was really a boy who's has a strong heart.

-- For the recording, the schedules seems to be finished really quickly ne.
Kamiki: Even though it was scheduled for 2 days, the recording was practically done by the first day.

-- Are they mostly done in one take?
Kamiki: No no no. The recording is really difficult. Up until now, Markl (of "Howl's Moving Castle") and Koiso Kenji (of "Summer Wars") that I did the voices for, are boys who has fluctuating facial expressions, but this time for Sho, he's a boy that doesn't show things like hiding a bit of his eyes, smile, or emotions on his face. In order for such facial expression and voice to match, it was really difficult. Director Yonebayashi will say, "It's better if you smile just a little bit" or "Try to have a bit more sadness", I have to act while speaking such subtle lines.

Not having to rely on facial expression.... It was difficult using voice to perform.

-- With Ghibli's film as your first, even when you're a voice actor, Kamiki-san has a maturity to you. Why is that?
Kamiki: Eh? Why, I wonder ne (laugh). I think I'm just... a normal high school student, but I wonder why... Why did you think so?

-- Of course, isn't it because of your great character? For example, good voice.
Kamiki: I wonder if that's true. I'm not really confident with my voice. I want to have a more gentler, and peaceful voice.

-- What do you mean?
Kamiki: My ideal is Fukuyama Masaharu-san. When you listen to his singing voice, it make you feel at ease, even though his voice isn't sweet. I'm really jealous of his voice. But because I'm not at that point, I would doubt myself.

-- What do you not like about your voice? Even though I think there are a lot of boys who worry about their changing voice.
Kamiki: I don't really hate it. Un, it's not that I hate it. It's just, the songs I can sing in karaoke are limited that it's vexing (laugh). When I was younger, I can sing simple Mr. Children songs, but now, I'm unable to. Even though I used to be able to do "Nada Sou Sou" by Natsukawa Rimi-san's musical interval, but now, I can't.

-- This time, with the barrier of voice and the way of speaking, what are some request you received?
Kamiki: I was told "Say it a bit more slower" very often. Even when I said things very slow, when I finish speaking the lines, Sho's mouth is still moving.

-- It's because in the director's mind, Sho-kun is speaking in that speed ne.
Kamiki: That's right. That's why I have to say the lines slowly and carefully. That is, for me, a new challenge, this time, I once again realized how difficult voice works are. For example, the tone of the voice. Even though, in drama, the tone is also important, but because our face is also filmed, we can cover it with our facial expressions. But when it's just voice, just lowered your voice a bit for a line will give a different meaning.  Also, because it was decided before hand on Sho's flat facial expression, it was really difficult.... Because I knew of that difficulty, on the site of the drama, I felt I need to be able to convey the pinpoint voice and atmosphere.

17 years old - When you think about it, even with troubles, I'm gradually gaining self-confident.

-- By the way, it seems like tomorrow (May 19) is your birthday ne.
Kamiki: Yes, I'm going to be 17. At last, I come to an age that is appropriate as a high school student (laugh). When you're 16, you still seems like a kid. When you're 18, you can get your license, and you pretty much has an adult presence. But being 17 is really a [high school student] image.

-- How life as a high school student?
Kamiki: I've become foolish (laugh). In my own way, I made friends with everyone, even in school, I think I'm a guy who live the funnest student life. Whenever I talk to my friends, they always told me "You seems to be having the most fun."

-- Not only having fun at school, but also the stairway to being an actor, from feelings to face is also ascending ne.
Kamiki: I think I'm able to do it because of my growth. Recently, because I gradually become more self confident, my way of speaking has gotten better.

-- For that, what was your turning point?
Kamiki: When I was doing "Bloody Monday" this year, for the drama I thought about it deeply. How should I portray the character, for example, how should I portray it so that people can see this evil role, for example. I researched a lot, and I was worried over it. Even though I certainly struggled with the image of that role, I think that's when I became a bit more confident in myself. But it's a story that happen just recently (laugh).

-- Your increasingly leaping forward, we'll look forward to it.
Kamiki: I'll do my best from now on. Even though I'm still ignorant, by gaining a lot of knowledge, be able to consider many things, and then able to reach a conclusion so that I'll be able to have confidence in my performance, I'll do my best!


-----------
- Much thanks to Chinese fans for the super clear scans!! <3<3
- It was kinda interesting translating this. Not only did I learn a few new words, I also learned a few things about Shida too. Her part was the last part that I translated, so I remember more from her parts than Kamiki's parts.
- Shida is a coward and doesn't like new challenges? Whaaatt?? o__O;; Totally different from what one would expected of her.
- Shida cried the day before her audition when she was younger... aw, that is cute.
- Shida tied her hair up in a ponytail like Arrietty so she could be in character... LOL!! <3
- They only did their recording in 2 days... That's amazing!
- Kamiki's talk about ages and image... funny. Though I think 16 years old already has that image of a high school student.
- I actually got a chance to hear Natsukawa Rimi-san singing "Nada Sou Sou" live during one of my trip to Vietnam. Her voice is so..... clear and cute. <3 The other Japanese artists at that time also have amazing and strong voices, kinda made the Vietnamese singers there seems like small fries/plankton, imho.
- Funny how Kamiki always want to better his voice for..... karaoke. XDD;;
- Fukuyama Masaharu fan boy! <3
- Ghibli sending Kamiki New Year Card. Hahaha.
- Hate to say it once again... but what are they wearing. >_<;; Shida looks slightly better, but Kamiki's pant is a bit.... :x They should have wore those clothes from the praying ceremony or something. Those are nice... :<

5 comments:

  1. thanks a lot for this translation!!
    some of shida's comments also surprised me,
    this interview allows to know them a little bit more, personal wise (interesting article :)
    ooohh also about your entry of little dj, nice goods you got there ^^, since you've wathched this movie also, there's a doubt I have, in the kissing scene, at first I really thought they kissed but at a second glance it might seemed that they didn't, there isn't a really good close up made by the camera, probably because they were young, too that scene was pretend? maybe? just a curiosity out of this movie,
    I liked the background music used in the website of the movie, I tried to search for it according to the title mentioned in the movie but no luck
    kanahe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey kanahe! :D

    Yup, it was just a fake kiss, they never actually touch lips.

    Someone from Kamiki's lj community actually posted the OST download link for Little DJ. It should be the second song.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mwqmny5d2nx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks a lot for this translation!!
    some comments of shida also surprised me, this interview allows to know them a bit more, personal wise (interesting article!)
    ooooh about your entry of little dj, nice goods you got there ^^, talking about that movie, there's a doubt I have,since you also wathched it, did the kissing scene happen or it was pretend, because the close up of the camera and the possition of both actors didn't really show it, and since they were young, probably faked it, maybe? o.O
    just a curiosity I found after watching the movie
    I like the bakcgroung music used in the official page of the movie, I tried to find it some time ago (using as reference the one mentioned in the movie, Sinfonía n.º 5, I think) but no luck
    Kanahe

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi himawari :D
    so fast!!! thanks for clearing that up!
    I was sure it was a pretend scene, what happened with real acting, then XD
    thanks for the link (^_^)V
    kanahe

    ReplyDelete
  5. XD;; You reminded me that I haven't listen to the OST yet. Hahaha. *islisteningtoitnow* XDD

    Yes, I think it's a pity that they didn't really act that part out, because that scene was just weird. The camera shots and angles made it weirder. But I guess it can't be helped, both of them are young, so I guess the director didn't want to go through with it. ^^;;

    ReplyDelete