Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kamiki Ryunosuke (神木隆之介) Interview : I'm similar to Nona-kun

Another Kamiki old interview. Taken from Yomiuri.

Decided to translate this because Kamiki's and Ghibli's 4th cooperation (Karigurashi no Arrietty) is going to be out in July 17! :D


Published on Febuary 28, 2008 in Yomiuri Newspaper.

For 'Ghibli Museum, Mitaka' in Tokyo, director Miyazaki Hayao created 3 newest short film, which can be chosen selectively and watch until March 13. One work from these 3, "Hoshi wo Katta Hi", is based on a story by painter Inoue Naohisa, who painted the fantasy work "iblard". Acting as the voice for the protagonist, Nona, is Kamiki Ryunosuke. (Interviewer: Yoda Kenichi)

-- Have you seen the finished work?
Kamiki: Not yet. Though, some times ago, I watched the film without music with Ooizumi You-san...

-- Do you want to quickly see it?
Kamiki: Yes!

-- How were you able to act as Nona?
Kamiki: At first, when I learned that they haven't decided on anyone yet, I asked "I want to audition, can I?", it was a challenge. On the appointed day, when I went to the studio to try out my voice, director Miyazaki told me "Wait a second", when I was wondering what's going on, he said "Let's start recording like this.", and just like that, it became a real recording.

-- Were you surprised?
Kamiki: I was shocked (laugh). Because, I didn't think it was really going to be a real recording.

-- What did director Miyazaki explain about the work?
Kamiki: We had a discussion about Nona-kun, a boy who's running away from reality. I remember we talk about such circumstances of the story, but we didn't discuss about the little details.

-- Do you have a circumstance where you also run away from reality?
Kamiki: U~n... It's actually something that happened recently, I broke something important in my house, at that time I had a strong wish, "Please let this be a dream!" (laugh).

-- What's something you can see yourself in Nona?
Kamiki: When he fixedly gazed at the star seed and decided to raise it, I think that he's similar to me. Because I'm very curious, when I have an interest in something, I'll become absorbed and forget about other things.

-- What are you into right now?
Kamiki: Train. Though I love the sound of the train when the motor goes gashagasha, right now, I love the body of the train. Also, recently, I've been bringing my digital camera with me, I've also been taking pictures of many things.

-- For example?
Kamiki: There's a lot of scenery pictures. A rock from an area, for example. I don't really take picture of people.

-- It will be good if you have an exhibition.
Kamiki: Yes! It's just that, I've been taking pictures that I think are interesting, but the people who look at them will think that the pictures are strange...

-- From participating in 3 of Miyazaki's work, "Spirited Away" as Bou, "Howl's Moving Castle" as Markl, and this, which character do you think you're closest with?
Kamiki: Perhaps Markl. Normally, I'm very spirited, even at the site, I'm always talking. About "Howl", even though a lot of people record their voices individually, I was able to meet with Kimura (Takuya, who did the voice of Howl)-san only once, but I was extremely happy. He's like a prince, I thought he was "Cool!".

-- Is the director strict?
Kamiki: He's always very kind. But, no matter which work it was, he always told me, "Be a little bit more normal!".

-- Did you frequently meet with the director?
Kamiki: Beside from when I record, other than that we don't meet. When we met for "Hoshi wo Katta Hi", he said "Your voice is getting lower.", which surprised me.

-- You're going to be a junior high student in April. From now on, what kind of actor are you aspired to be?
Kamiki: The person I respect is Ikariya Chosuke-san. Even with age, he's able to perform well, I want to be able to continue on as an actor. (The way I translate this sentence may give the wrong impression... Kamiki meant Ikariya-san still always give great performance... Nothing bad about the age thing.)


"Hoshi wo Katta Hi"
While walking in a desert, a young boy, Nona (Kamiki Ryunosuke) suddenly meet a mysterious woman, Nigna (Suzuki Kyoka), and he begins to work on her plantation. One day, he was given a 'star seed' in exchange for the vegetables by two strangers. Approximately 16 minutes. Until March 13, you can choose 1 from this 3 new films, "Yadosagashi", "Mizugumo Monmon" and "Hoshi wo Katta Hi", to watch. The museum required date and time reservation.



------------
Onto other stuffs... So, because "Karigurashi no Arrietty" is going to be out in about 1 month, Kamiki also begins to appear in magazine...

These scans are from the newest Awesome! issue (I'm guessing July issue?). Scan by the gracious king-kun. Please click on the link to see more great scans by her(?). :)






No comments:

Post a Comment